Sunday 31 August 2014

WHY I NO LONGER SHOOT MUSIC VIDEOS — OKPECHI

One of Nigeria’s enterprising directors, Uzodinma Okpechi, has said he has moved away from producing music videos having ‘‘pioneered the current revolution’’ in the industry.

He added that even though he no longer handles music videos he could still try his hands on some if the need arises.

Uzodinma, who directed music videos of many award-winning singers such as Sunny Neji, Innocent Idibia (Tuface), Anthony Awotoye (Tony Tetuila), Sammie Okposo and John Asiemo (Daddy Showkey) among others, said he did his best while he was fully involved in the production of music videos.

He said, "I did my best when I was involved in the production of music videos. I no longer do music videos. I pioneered the current revolution in music video production and I feel proud that I created a string of videos while I was involved. While I was directing such videos, my colleagues were busy directing videos for Nollywood because there was no money in music videos then. For me, I believe I have done my best and I have moved on."

Stating that he now shoots videos for documentaries and TV commercials, Uzodinma added that he sometimes "regrets that he switched too early because money started flowing into the shooting of music video after I left that aspect. I am not doing badly now but I regret not making money there when I was fully involved in it."

He also identified noticeable improvement in the current shooting of music videos in terms of camera usage, post-production and the choice of software and hardware for production purposes.

The director however noted that most of the music videos currently on air look similar in form.
 
"I don’t have any problem with the new technology being employed in the industry. But where I have a worry is in the area of creativity. Most of the videos look alike and there is a monotony of creativity. Most of them lack stories. People just want to shoot glamour; throwing of money and pouring of expensive liquor. I know that videos are for entertainment but there is also the information and education part of them. Foreign videos tell stories. If a costume or picture is used, it will have a particular story it is telling. I don’t see that in our own music videos," he added.

LIKE our Facebook page
Follow us on Twitter
Send your press release/articles to: thenezitic@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment