Sunday 31 August 2014

‘NIGERIAN ENTERTAINERS LIVE ON FAME’

Veteran Nollywood actor, Kareem Adepoju popularly known as Baba Wande has described Nigerian actors and entertainers as highly rich in fame without corresponding financial wealth to show for it.

He told Arts Dome that it is commonplace in Nigeria to see a celebrated actor and actress who is not rich in terms of monetary worth.

The actor said, "Many Nigerian actors and actresses only have names. They are noble because of their names built over the years through hard work and dedication but no money is attached to the names."
According to him, those among them with good houses and cars acquire such through the grace of God.

He also identified piracy as one of the major challenges confronting the industry while the practitioners remain helpless in tackling it.

Baba Wande added, "I recently celebrated my 50 years in the industry. Everything I have today is through the grace of God. I am happy to be an actor but there is still much to be done by government to encourage the practitioners. In terms of awards, how many of the veterans in the industry have been so honoured? We will continue to make the country proud in the way we know how best to do so. The motivation for me is the fact that people say I am unique in my genre. It is something that keeps me going and motivates me to do more."

The veteran performer further said it was an interesting development seeing young entrants into the industry who continually aspire to do their best. He described such as a good thing for an industry which was once believed to be populated by individuals without substantial goals in life. "I like the way the industry is growing. It is something that all of us are happy about. Before now, people called us unserious because they believed that acting was a job meant for individuals without focus in life. Things have changed now and it is heart-warming that many people are now embracing acting," he added.

The actor has featured in many films such as Ti Oluwanile, Obuko Dudu and Ate Gagara. When asked to recall some of the movies he had featured in, he said, "It will be difficult to remember them. They are so many. Besides, I wrote many films and also featured in many too. I study scripts well and give my best to every role I am called upon to interpret."

LIKE our Facebook page
Follow us on Twitter
Send your press release/articles to: thenezitic@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment