Thursday 20 March 2014

NEW ZENIT BOSS AVB TARGETS RUSSIAN LEAGUE TITLE

Andres Villas Boas (AVB) says he targets the Russian championship after he was unveiled as Zenit St Petersburg manager on Thursday.
The Russian club, who lost 5-4 on aggregate to Borussia Dortmund, out of the quarter-finals of the UEFA Champions League on Wednesday, announced the appointment of the former Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur boss as their new head coach on Tuesday.
The Portuguese tactician has now officially penned down a new deal, which runs from March 2014 all through to the end of the next two seasons, with the Russian giants.
“I was delighted to accept the offer to coach Zenit because the club is as ambitious as I am,” said AVB.
“I hope to have a lot of success with the team and my first aim is to win the Russian championship. I am sure we have what it takes to win our remaining nine matches and become champions.”
He succeeds caretaker coach Sergey Semak, whose short spell at the club sees them sit second on the Russian League table, three points behind leaders Lokomotiv Moscow with 41 points.
Zenit secured a rare 2-1 win at the Signa Iduna Park in the return leg of the Champions League second round tie with Dortmund on Wednesday but failed to advance as a result of an inferior goal aggregate.
“I watched Zenit`s game yesterday, and I saw the passion in the team`s play,” AVB added. “I hope now to impart my knowledge to the players, and together we will succeed, especially in the league this season, as well as in the future.”

LIKE our Facebook page
Follow us on Twitter 
Send your press release/articles to: thenezitic@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment