Friday 28 February 2014

LUPITA NYONG’O SAYS SHE USED TO PRAY FOR LIGHTER SKIN

12 years a Slave star, Lupita Nyong’o says she used to hate being black and constantly prayed to God for her skin colour to miraculously become lighter.
Speaking at the ‘Black Women in Hollywood Luncheon’ in Beverly Hills, California, USA, Lupita said she always felt un-beautiful and faced a lot of insecurities early on about her night-shaded dark skin.
Speaking at the event where she was honoured, she said, ‘and my one prayer to God, the miracle worker, was that I would wake up lighter-skinned. The morning would come and I would be so excited about seeing my new skin that I would refuse to look down at myself until I was in front of a mirror because I wanted to see my fair face first. And every day I experienced the same disappointment of being just as dark as I was the day before’.

She would also share her experience where a fan sent her a letter saying she almost bought Dencia’s Whitenicious cream, but decided against it after seeing Lupita rise to stardom in Hollywood despite being black.
Guests at the event include Oprah Winfrey, Tyler Perry, Kerry Washington, Michael Ealy, Chaka Khan and many others.

LIKE our Facebook page
Follow us on Twitter 
Send your press release/articles to: thenezitic@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment